The year, the past.
The place, a convention in a week.
I'm prepped. I'm ready. I'm excited. I'm nervous. I've got a presentation I'm going to do. There's going to be tons of announcements and product releases. I'm working myself into a frenzy about everything that's going to happen and things I need to be ready for and and and...
Needless to say at this point I need a stiff drink. My friends know that doesn't work so they come over and we start talking. Lots of silliness in-sued and stress occurred. Something fun that came out of that stress release is a game that I like to do about the next convention I'm heading to.
Rules of the Prophecy Game:
- You get a point for each item you bring up first that happens.
- If it is NDA, can't mention it. No fair to the game as you already know the announcement and we don't want you getting in trouble.
- If it is massively public knowledge, you can say it, you just don't get points for it coming true. (Team vote if prophecy is public knowledge already.)
- Winner at end of convention for most points gets crowned "Oracle of VMworld2010".
What do I think that will happen at VMworld 2010?
- Number of Booths with uninformed Booth Babes/Dudes will be less than VMworld2009
- Session turnout will be smaller on average than last year
- iPad is the raffle gift of choice this year (a gimme I know)
- EMC will show some incredible tech (VPLEX) that will encourage VMware to one-up it
- vD0dgeball will have a significant turnout of vSquirrels, vSpecialists and just everyone
- vSpecialists are going to win 5 out of 9 games
- Symantec will have some new product that will attempt to replace some VMware supplied tech and be rather disruptive to your environment again instead of using APIs supplied
- Citrix or Microsoft will have some marketing approach that is rather childish
- Lots of VMware announcements about the Ionix acquisition
- Twitter will hit a good 30k tweets in #vmworld
- @jTroyer will get 2 hours of sleep a night all week
- @Lynxbat will announce some cool enhancement to a virtual appliance
That being said here's my prophecies on VMware's product line and keynotes:
- Will announce general availability of VMware's first Cloud Delivery Tool (Likely called Service Director) for your own private cloud
- Announce cross datacenter vMotion & Storage vMotion capabilities
- VMware will purchase Teradici for $50mil
- Will announce VMware is getting into selling servers (everyone else is doing it why not VMware?)
- View 4.next will finally go GA
- VMware join the battle to buy 3Par
What do you think will happen at VMworld 2010?